What is study permit extension?
A study permit extension is a process by which international students in Canada can extend their permit to continue studying in the country beyond the original expiration date. The application process is time-consuming. It is important to note that meeting eligibility criteria does not guarantee approval of a study permit extension, as the decision is ultimately at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Expiry & restoration of your student status
- You can apply online for an extension of your study permit.
- The DLI number of your college/university must be included with all applications.
- If you do not apply to extend your permit before it expires, you will only be eligible to regain your student status if you continue to meet the perquisites of your study permit.
- Make sure you apply within 3 months of the study permit’s expiration date.
- Until your application is reinstated, you are not allowed to resume your studies/your employment.
- If you violate the terms of your study permit, an official from IRCC or CBSA may ask you to leave Canada.
- Students should ask for a study permit extension at least 30 days before the current permit expires.
- Applicants must submit a completed application form and pay the required fees.
Eligibility criteria of study permit extension
To be eligible for a study permit extension in Canada, international students must –
- Remain enrolled in a qualifying educational program at a designated learning institution.
- Have maintained satisfactory academic standing and attendance
- Be able to support them financially during the extension period
- Not have committed any crimes or violated any immigration laws while in Canada
- Apply for the extension before the current study permit expires
- Meet any additional requirements specified by the immigration authorities
Documents you require for work permit extension
It is recommended to consult with one of our immigration consultants for guidance on the required documentation. Some common documents that may be required include –
- Completed application form for work permit extension
- Valid passport
- Current work permit
- Proof of continued employment, such as a letter from the employer
- Evidence of compliance with immigration regulations, such as tax filings or Social Security
- Proof of financial support
- Payment of the required processing fees
- Additional documents (if needed)
How can we help?
Immigration is a complex subject. You should not experiment it with your limited skills, no matter how many information you have in your bucket. Only a professional and registered immigration consultant must get the job done.
Our professional consultant at Cosmic Immigration can legally assist with the study permit extension process by providing guidance on the necessary forms and documentation, helping to ensure that the application is complete and accurate, & advocating on behalf of the applicant in the event of any issues or complications.
Book An Appointment