What is work permit extension?
A work permit extension is a process that allows foreign workers who are already in Canada to continue working legally beyond the expiry date of their current work permit. The eligibility criteria for a work permit extension may vary depending on the specific work permit category (Unrestricted and Restricted) & immigration program under which the applicant is working.
Criteria for work permit extension
Generally, to be eligible for a WP extension, the applicant must meet the following requirements –
- Must have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer
- Cannot leave the country due to an unforeseen event.
- Must have a work permit that is expiring soon or has already expired.
- Status of your refugee claimant application.
- Must have complied with all the conditions of their current work permit
- Hold a degree from a DLI (if working on student visa)
- Provide medical or police clearance certificates if necessary.
- Must not be inadmissible to Canada under any section of the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act
Documents you require for study permit extension
The documents required for a study permit extension in Canada may vary depending on the individual circumstances of the applicant.
- Completed application form for study permit extension.
- Valid passport.
- Proof of enrollment in a qualifying educational program at a designated learning institution.
- Academic transcripts or report cards demonstrating satisfactory academic standing.
- Proof of financial support, such as bank statements or a letter of financial support from a sponsor.
- A letter explaining why the extension is needed.
- The future plans after the completion of the program.
- Payment of the required processing fees.
- Any additional documents.
How to apply for it?
It is advisable to apply for a work permit extension at least 30 days before the expiry of the current WP. If an individual continues to work without a valid WP, they may be subject to deportation or future inadmissibility to Canada.
- To apply for a work permit extension, the applicant must submit an application to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
- The application must include all required forms, supporting documents, and fees.
- It is important to ensure that the application is complete and accurate to avoid delays or refusal.
- You must provide other documents if asked by the immigration officer
- Be present if asked for any medical examination or certificate (if required)
Do you need support?
If a work permit extension is not accepted, the individual may need to leave the country when their current permit expires. It may be possible to appeal the decision through an administrative or judicial review process. Our professional consultants for work permit extension can assist applicants in preparing a strong application that meets all the requirements and can improve the chances of a successful outcome.
We can also provide guidance on the eligibility criteria, application process, and any updates or changes to the immigration policies and regulations. Avail our trusted and reputable immigration services to avoid any immigration swindles.
Book An Appointment